Looking closer at the Digital Literacy Frameworks

What is the purpose of the framework?

The purpose of the BC Digital Literacy Framework has always been to prepare and ensure that students were “digitally literate at an early age.” However, this understanding, definition and interpretation depends heavily on the context in which it is designed. In considering what was developed as a guide for educators and school districts to use, was not a mandated document but rather a tool to guide further discussions and learning around the contexts of online learning, use, ethics, values and morals around the use of technology.

The document itself feels very much like a snapshot or overview of what a digital literate student should learn and understand as well as can be a helpful tool for educators to use in alignment with curriculum development and assessment.

While the current BC Digital Literacy Framework includes important skills for today’s students to learn, know and understand we will further discuss what is missing from this concise and thoughtful list of considerations. The current characteristics of digital literacy are:

• Research and Information Literacy
  • Critical Thinking, Problem Solving and Decision Making
  • Creativity and Innovation
  • Digital Citizenship
  • Communication and Collaboration
  • Technology Operations and Concepts

While the current framework is thorough it could take further steps to break each section down to include digital competencies for each year/ grade to align with the new developments in the curriculum. It is having said this, evident that the BC Digital Framework was a reference for the developers of BC’s New Curriculum. While I understand that the new curriculum was developed with many teachers and educational stakeholders’ involvement, I do wonder if the development of this framework included the same level of involvement of teachers.

What is missing?

Something that stood out to me was the current BC Digital Literacy Framework does not include the indigenous perspective or content. In addition, I also feel that the current framework does not reflect a totally inclusive approach, involving best practice indicators that will be not just equal but equitable.

How will this framework address the inequity that exists around the increased use of technology used in schools for those who do not have adequate access to it?

How I can use this moving forward

I am particularly interested in the digital literacy # 3 Creativity and Innovation and # 5 Communication and Collaboration when looking at project-based learning. As being a learning service teacher is a large part of my current position, I do a lot of collaboration and co-teaching with teaching and looking at making things accessible to all learners is a huge part of the overall focus, one area that I am very interested and passionate about.

When looking at the section on creativity and innovation, I think about how the use of digital literacy can support students to better demonstrate their creative processes and levels of understanding. Students are able to do this in a way that is self-reflective and personalized, not just in how they use these creative outlets but also how they meet the needs of their individual learning styles and abilities. They are able to learn how using digital technology can support their learning but also think about how such unique expressions fit with the way they learn themselves. This aspect in BC’s Digital Literacy Framework supports students to focus more on the process of their learning journey rather than looking at the finished product in isolation.

In addition, the section on communication and collaboration focuses on students working collaboratively to support individualized learning and contribute to the learning of others. Collaboration is paramount when looking at building an awareness of digital citizenship, recognizing that everyone contributes to the greater picture and looks at the importance of students recognizing and understanding differences between learners as well as the cultures around them. Communication and collaboration are great skills for students to learn that transfer to the real world and prepare students for life outside of school. They also encourage students to become more socially responsible with the learning, thinking about how their contributions add to the bigger picture. I feel there is a greater need to increase opportunities for collaboration and find ways to connect students to their learning on a more personal level. When students feel vested, are interested and engaged in what they are learning that learning becomes more meaningful and more applicable in the real world.