Research Diaries- My Professional Applications

We reflect on our everyday practices all the time, thinking about what is working, what isnā€™t and where we should go next. This ā€œtrial and errorā€ allows us to try out and employ a variety of methods in our classrooms, while enabling us to grow as professionals through the reflective process. This process allows us to teach to all of our students, allows us to employ varied learning strategies and differentiated teaching styles, while keeping one thing in focus- success for all learners.

I appreciated both the article, Research Diary: A Tool for Scaffolding and Teaching for Meaningful Learning. Both of these articles made me reflect a lot about my own practice and made me think about just how much reflection takes place. I think the idea of a running record in the form of a research diary would allow me to go back and think not just about what I would keep, discard or change, but also force me to reflect on the process of thinking that led me to this point. The concept of the research diary is a methodical process of evaluating, critiquing and thinking more deeply about why we make the decisions we do. In doing this I think we are able to better improve both the learners experience but also the teaching experience.

I connected with this idea that writing is thinking. We often think that if we give ourselves time to reflect that that is enough, or that we need to be clear with what we are trying to express before we put pen to paper. However in thinking about this more critically, I think keeping a record and writing down your personal reflections gives you a better idea of your entire thought process, the challenges, questions, critiques of your own practice, rather than simply making a mental note of what I would choose to repeat or change.

In terms of applying this concept to the classroom, I think there is a lot of meaningful learning that could happen in terms of a studentā€™s learning process. It would allow them to reflect on their journey, identify areas they may find problematic, as well as think about and reflect on their own learning styles and learning needs. Using these in a classroom setting could open to door to more dialogue that may otherwise get lost, where students use this diary as an individual advocacy tool as well as a mode to provide feedback to students regarding their learning experiences.

I would definitely like to look at using a research diary with my class in the upcoming school year. I think looking at the application of a research diary with a particular subject of unit might be a useful way to start, such as for a socials or science project.